From comments I got both on and outside of the last blog, seems like ya'll like the legal mumbo jumbo. Good to hear.
As quasi-promised, I give you a very brief overview of Burton v. Wilmington Parking Authority. It is a Delaware case originally processed in 1959, but ultimately brought to the US Supreme Court in April of 1961. William Burton brought a class action suit against Eagle Coffee Shoppe, Inc. (a restaurant) for refusing to serve him because he was African American. Wilmington Parking Authority (WPA) was joined as a defendant because it owned the space where Eagle was located. Burton claimed that WPA, as an agency of the state, consented to the practice of the restaurant in violation of the 14th Amendment guarantee of Equal Protection.
Essentially, at this time, the lines about what individual entities (such as restaurants) could do in regards to discrimination were a little blurry. (aka, the govt and USSC were still trying to figure out if it could tell private citizens and private establishments that they couldn't discriminate.) But what was extremely clear was that there could be no discriminatory STATE ACTION on the basis of race. Burton essentially claimed that WPA, as a state entity with control over its tenant, Eagle, exhibited a discriminatory state action. Obviously, WPA claimed that it didn't actually have any control over Eagle's policies and practices. Essentially, it claimed it was a simple business, landlord-tenant relationship. Although the lower court first held that there was a state action within the relationship of WPA and Eagle, the USSC eventually held that Eagle was acting in a purely private capacity, and thus the act of refusing to serve Burton was not a state action. Because Eagle was classified as a restaurant (as opposed to an inn), it was acting within its right to refuse service.
Well, now that I've taught you all some (very) mildly sgp related constitutional law, lets move right along.
*****
In other areas of interest, OTH was finally back with a new episode Monday night. Definitely did not disappoint. Not my favorite episode ever, but was a good one to come back to after a few weeks off. I think most viewers were glad to finally get some answers re: Peyton's mysterious life threatening pregnancy complication. I was not surprised. I was betting on that or endometriosis. (Sidenote: I have a freakish amount of knowledge on pregnancy and childbirth. I don't know why or how. I guess because I am fascinated with all things baby.) I also really enjoyed the Brooke / Peyton scenes. I don't think we've gotten much of that lately. We've had interaction, but the emotion and relationship between the two of them really shined (shone? is that a word?) last night. Overprotective Lucas was pretty cute as well, though might have been laid on a bit thick for me. Haley looked particularly gorgeous last night, and I must say, I was never a huge Nathan fan, but damn, grown up Nathan is hot. I could go on and on about OTH, but when I do that, I tend to sink into non-reality, and it's really not healthy, haha. I'm looking forward to the next few weeks, anxious to see how the next few episodes play out, and hoping we will get some casting answers some time soon.
*****
I also just watched Law & Order: SVU and a little girl got kidnapped while the babysitter was watching her. Terrifying. Definitely is one of my greatest fears, and I so have a plan for if that happened for every single house that I babysit in.
*****
I probably should have done a bunch of outlining tonight since I had relatively little reading and tomorrow night I won't get anything done since I'm going to a bubble show with my cousin Holly and the boys. I have no idea what a bubble show involves, but it sounds like fun and Holly needs an extra set of hands in case it is something hands-on. And by the time I get home I will probably just watch Greys and head to bed.
*****
Tomorrow is registration for Fall classes, and I am astonished. I can't believe that we've made it through enough of the year to be actually considering NEXT year. Shit, I can't even believe that 3 weeks from now I will have FINISHED an ENTIRE year of law school. It completely blows my mind. I am trying not to freak out. SGP helped with that. Though I won't deny that there may or may not be an entire post coming purely with me in freak out mode. I can only hold it in so long.
*****
Okay that's enough for tonight. Perhaps a bubble-show review tomorrow night. I actually can't wait. Bubbles are mezmerizing. And viewing life through the eyes of a 2 1/2 year old is priceless.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment